Building a confident, skilled, and well networked community of physician leaders.
For Successful Practices
Continuing Medical Education Accreditation
Sponsored by the Oregon Medical Association for up to 30 ACCME Category 1 credits
- How to read an Income Statement, Balance Sheet, Statement of Cash Flows
- How to read (and create) spreadsheets, proformas, business plans, and return on investment calculations
- Basics of payor contracting, reimbursement, and provider compensation strategies
- Understanding revenue streams and value-based reimbursement
- The importance of compliance and audits
- Understanding and mitigating business risk.
Personal Leadership and Development
- Understanding strengths and blind spots through leadership development tools
- Managing difficult relationships, improving communication style, and building influence
- Understanding the importance of group dynamics and creating a high performing team
- Creating a culture of inclusivity and diversity
- The importance of expressing appreciation, appropriate vulnerability, and transparency
Managing Physicians' Performance
- How to have difficult and crucial conversations with physicians, providers and staff
- Managing disruptive physician behavior
- Managing conflict and leading physicians through change
Recruiting and Employee Management
- How to present the practice well during the interview process
- Do’s and Don’ts during the interviewing process
- Managing employees for performance and employment laws
Quality and Culture of Safety
- Defining and improving quality outcomes
- Improving systems of care for better quality and financial outcomes
- Peer review to improve quality of care
- Creating a culture of safety that permeates the organization
- Creating a culture of performance and accountability through transparency
Being a Good Administrative Partner
- Forming a strong clinical and administrative dyad
- How to run an effective meeting
- Keeping on top of email and communications
- Asking for help when you need it
With thanks to our sponsors for their commitment to physician leaders.
Schedule: Cohorts being formed continuously
- New cohorts are being added depending on demand
- Ideal cohort size is 12-15 and no more than 18
Tuition: $5500 per individual physician
- Subscription for clinics with multi-year or multi-participant commitment: $5,000 per year per physician
- Maximum of five physicians from any one organization in any cohort
- If a group wants eight or more physicians in the program, a special cohort can be created
- Minimum attendance required is eight out of ten sessions, all sessions recorded via Zoom
- We highly encourage in-person attendance
- Participants may attend a maximum of four sessions via Zoom
HOW TO ENROLL
Ms. Arena is the Managing Partner of Health e Practices, LLC and the author of Physician Heal Thy Financial Self. She is a successful entrepreneur, having co-founded GreenField Health in 2000, and Health e Practices in 2010, both of which she grew into multi-million dollar businesses. She has extensive experience in the business of outpatient medicine, having run medical groups of varying sizes and ownership configurations over the past thirty years. She has led the de novo start up of more than 75 medical practices in multiple states, and has deep experience with concierge medicine, revenue cycle management and strategic and succession planning. She earned her Fellowship from the American College of Medical Practice Executives in 1999.
She derives a great deal of professional satisfaction from walking with clients through critical transitions in their practices to assure that their businesses thrive. She and the Health e Practices team work daily to transform the business of medicine one practice at a time. She has a passion for convening groups of leaders in the community to share learning and improve health care as a whole.
CRAIG WRIGHT, MD
Dr. Wright is a seasoned physician leader and consultant who specializes in physician alignment, clinical integration strategies and leadership development. He has held many leadership roles, including having been a senior physician executive in an $18 billion health system and Chief Medical Officer at The Portland Clinic. Throughout his 27 years with the health system, he performed roles with increasing responsibility, culminating in overseeing a medical group encompassing more than 5,000 providers, and with account ability for quality, population health, and innovation in the clinical setting. He has focused on turnaround work for several groups, and on developing physician leaders. To that end, he has an active coaching practice for executives and clinical leaders from across the country.
Dr. Wright practiced primary care for more than a decade in Seattle, WA. He earned his medical degree from the University of Washington School of Medicine, where he also completed his residency in 1991, and then went on to serve as an Associate Professor. He serves on several community and nonprofit boards, and is active in the community. He has a passion for developing physician leaders to better serve the next generation of patients.
Steve has been in the healthcare field for 33 years, 26 of which have been in consulting with Booz, Allen & Hamilton; Abt Associates; and his own firms—Franey & Associates Consulting, Inc. and Franey, Thompson & Associates, Inc. The range of his work includes strategic planning, business start-up and development, clinical integration, governance & organization structuring, organizational development, operations assessment, quality and performance improvement, compensation system modeling and design, leadership development and training, and financial planning. Steve has served as a chief operating officer of a hospital, been a chief executive officer of a large multi-specialty clinic, been a nursing home administrator.
Steve is a graduate of Occidental College with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Mathematics and Chemistry. He received his MBA from the University of Chicago in Hospital Administration and Finance.
Joe’s litigation record exemplifies his commitment to his clients, having successfully defeated anti-trust, securities fraud, Stark law, Medicare fraud and Qui-Tam claims.
Joe represents his clients with the dedication, knowledge and understanding necessary to navigate through difficult circumstances in a cost-effective manner.