For Independent Practices
Now is an important time for effective physician leadership, especially for independent and physician-owned practices.
A strong and thriving culture requires physician leadership, engaged providers, and financial discipline.
We aim to provide formal leadership training for physicians which will create a community of physician leaders who are confident, skilled, and well networked.
Our goal is to ensure the long-term success of physician practices and to recapture the joy in the practice of medicine.
- How to read an Income Statement, Balance Sheet, Statement of Cash Flows
- How to read (and create) spreadsheets, proformas, business plans, and return on investment calculations
- Basics of payor contracting, reimbursement, and provider compensation strategies
- Understanding revenue streams and value-based reimbursement
- The importance of compliance and audits
- Understanding and mitigating business risk.
- How to have difficult and crucial conversations with physicians, providers and staff
- Managing disruptive physician behavior
- Managing conflict and leading physicians through change
- Defining and improving quality outcomes
- Peer review to improve quality of care
- Creating a culture of safety that permeates the organization
- Creating a culture of performance and accountability through transparency
- Understanding strengths and blind spots through leadership development tools
- Managing difficult relationships, improving communication style, and building influence
- Understanding the importance of group dynamics and creating a high performing team
- Creating a culture of inclusivity and diversity
- The importance of expressing appreciation, appropriate vulnerability, and transparency
- How to present the practice well during the interview process
- Do's and Don'ts during the interviewing process
- Managing employees for performance and employment laws
- Forming a strong clinical and administrative dyad
- How to run an effective meeting
- Keeping on top of email and communications
- Asking for help when you need it
- New cohorts may be added depending on demand
- Ideal cohort size is 12-15 and no more than 18
- Subscription for clinics with multi-year commitment: $4,000 per year per physician -
$8,000 for two physicians, $12,000 per year for three, etc.
- Maximum of five physicians from any one organization in any cohort
- If a group wants eight or more physicians in the program, a special cohort can be created
- Minimum attendance required is eight out of ten sessions, all sessions recorded via Zoom
- We highly encourage in-person attendance
- Participants may attend a maximum of four sessions via Zoom
Ms. Arena is the Managing Partner of Health e Practices, LLC and the author of Physician Heal Thy Financial Self. She is a successful entrepreneur, having co-founded GreenField Health in 2000, and Health e Practices in 2010, both of which she grew into multi-million dollar businesses. She has extensive experience in the business of outpatient medicine, having run medical groups of varying sizes and ownership configurations over the past thirty years. She has led the de novo start up of more than 75 medical practices in multiple states, and has deep experience with concierge medicine, revenue cycle management and strategic and succession planning. She earned her Fellowship from the American College of Medical Practice Executives in 1999.
She derives a great deal of professional satisfaction from walking with clients through critical transitions in their practices to assure that their businesses thrive. She and the Health e Practices team work daily to transform the business of medicine one practice at a time. She has a passion for convening groups of leaders in the community to share learning and improve health care as a whole.
Steve has been in the healthcare field for 33 years, 26 of which have been in consulting with Booz, Allen & Hamilton; Abt Associates; and his own firms—Franey & Associates Consulting, Inc. and Franey, Thompson & Associates, Inc. The range of his work includes strategic planning, business start-up and development, clinical integration, governance & organization structuring, organizational development, operations assessment, quality and performance improvement, compensation system modeling and design, leadership development and training, and financial planning. Steve has served as a chief operating officer of a hospital, been a chief executive officer of a large multi-specialty clinic, been a nursing home administrator.
Steve is a graduate of Occidental College with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Mathematics and Chemistry. He received his MBA from the University of Chicago in Hospital Administration and Finance.